Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Blessings of blessing others..



This article came out in yesterdays News Straits Times Paper and I wanted to share it with you.

By A. Kathirasen 
kathirasen@nstp.com.my

Our spouses do not belong to us; our children do not belong to us
  As he scooped up a few grains of  turmeric-covered rice from a platter at the wedding of a niece recently, my cousin's husband asked if I knew why rice is thrown on the couple.
  Yellow, I explained, signifies auspiciousness in Indian culture.  So, when the yellow rice is showered it means a showering of auspiciousness on the couple.

  In throwing the rice on the couple as the groom ties the Thaali --  a turmeric-covered string that signifies marriage -- one has to open the hand, which takes the shape of a hand in blessing.   The ancients, I said, found this a perfect way to make everyone present bless the couple, whether consciously or not.

  The conversation ended with the observation that we don't bless enough.

  Years ago, an acquaintance, with whom I was about to have lunch, asked:  "Praying ah? What did you actually say?"

  I was reluctant to talk about it, but he persisted.

 "I blessed the food, the cook and everyone who had a hand in its existence; I blessed those eating with me; I blessed my family members; I thanked God, and I prayed that all life must have food today."

  He was impressed. I told him not to be impressed but to try it. When next I met him, about four years later, he said he felt so much better as a person for blessing his food, family and friends.

  "I feel a certain lift in my life. People with whom I was at odds now feel more comfortable being with me," he said.

  "Any other tips?" he asked. I suggested that he bless his body.

  His pupils grew larger. "You're not pulling my leg, are you?", he asked. After I explained, he said, enthusiastically, that he would try it. The last time I met him, he said he was a healthier and happier person. He looked it, too.

  How many of us bless our bodies? It is the only thing we have that is truly ours. The house we live in is not ours (often, it belongs to the bank); our spouses do  not belong to us, our children do not belong to us.    The body is our only real possession. We can do what we like with it. It comes with us.

  Everything else is simply an application to the iPad. We install, and uninstall, these apps as and when we need them in the journey of life.

  It is the body -- and here I include the mind, as the mind is but the subtlest part of the body and the body the grossest part of the mind -- that carries us through life, the silent partner that gives us shape and character.

  Yet we take it for granted, or perhaps because of that we take it for granted. If at all we notice the body, it is because of some pain or illness or discomfort.

  Sadly, we not only disregard the body, we often abuse it. Knowing full well the poisonous effect of smoking, some of us smoke, without regard for the vehicle that carries us around.

  Knowing full well the danger of consuming alcohol, we drink, disrespecting the temple through which we think, speak and act.

  When the body breaks down, we cry, sometimes we curse, or we do both.  The best way to bless the body, of course, is to take good care of it, to listen to it and act accordingly. If we do that, there can be no greater blessing.

  I have encouraged my family members to bless everyone and everything first thing in the morning. I do it and it makes my day better.

  Try it, you will be blessed.

  And, dear reader, bless you for reading this column.
-"No matter what looms ahead, if you can eat today, enjoy today, mix good cheer with friends today, enjoy it and bless God for it."  -- Henry Ward Beecher

And here's my blessing for you readers today.. 



Have a blessed day !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi.. Thank you for reading. Did you enjoy reading my blog post? Feel free to leave your comments here.. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...